Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Just A February Dip in the Atlantic

Approximately 28 years ago, an Anna was born in the Erinville Hospital in County Cork, Ireland. Many life events later, she returned to her homeland to finally experience Ireland as an adult.

Touching Moment Outside
Erinville Hospital


I have wanted to return to Ireland for pretty much my whole life. I decided that once I returned to Ireland, I would "baptise" myself as an Irish citizen in the Atlantic Ocean in Ireland. Now, with this 3 month house sit, I am finally back! So yesterday my mom and sister and I set out for the coast to do the baptism.

We found a beach near the town of Milltown Malbay, near Spanish Point on the West Coast of County Clare.

Beach


I was originally going to just wade out into the ocean, but Rachel found a little wading pool-type area which seemed like a better choice really, for picture taking and also to not draw out the "being in the water" part. I was a bit afraid that maybe I was going to chicken out at the last minute and not be able to shed my layers on the beach of the Atlantic in Ireland in the middle of February. I did not chicken out, but I didn't dunk my whole body and head in like I'd planned, because once I got in there, holy SHIT was it cold!

It may look like I am saying "Praise Jesus",
but that would be a wrong assumption.


By the time I got out I couldn't really feel my feet. My mom and Rach held up the "changing area" blanket for me as we'd planned, and honestly, once you've taken your clothes off and gone in, it's not that hard to stand around in winter on a beach without all your clothes on! It was actually kind of refreshing! But I couldn't just stay there standing around in my underwear all day, so I got dressed and held the blanket as a cape around me like the champion I felt like.

Champion


We then went into the town for celebratory coffee and warm sticky toffee pudding.

Why wait when you can
eat right away?


And so I am baptised.

3 comments:

  1. And it was FREEZING cold there; I barely had the courage to walk on the beach, fully clothed in multiple layers. Well done You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise jesus! You crack me up Bouey! I didn't think you were big religius. I suppose that's true as a baptism requires a proper head dunking. But in my book, full points for dipping in and going for it! Kind of takes your breath away eh?

    posting comments here is not easy. I sign in and create a google friend account, now i choose it and my whole comment got erased. I'm trying again as anonymous so maybe you'll know who posted, maybe you won't?

    ReplyDelete
  3. where and how are you these days?
    i quit facebook and now getting back into blogging - hoping to see some updates here, bouey! ^_^

    ReplyDelete